Wednesday, July 27, 2011

July SFYTT - I heart You


Only a few days are left to play along with the July Sketch For You to Try girls. In case you missed my post earlier this month, we have another fabulous sponsor this month - My Favorite Things!! First, take a look at this month's fun sketch:


I pulled some MFT goodies out of my stash that had yet to see ink to create another sample and came up with this - it's another card I made to give my son. I've been giving Dean a card about once a month with a little letter written inside full of my thoughts on being his Mom at the time, funny things he's done lately, or just sharing my feelings. He doesn't care too much now but someday I hope this will be a special keepsake for him. He starts kindergarten on Monday and I wanted to write him a little note both to tell him how proud of him I am and also to capture my mix of emotions at this milestone. I wanted to make the card look more like a "Big Boy" card and I think I accomplished that.


I used the Say What die and stamp set from MFT and am so happy I finally played with this set! I'll definitely be using it more often! The papers are all super old SEI and Scenic Route DP I've been hoarding. I added a glittery heard, some buttons, a ribbon and baker's twine as embellishment. I also tried out some of my new (to me) OA Sprinklers paint misters / spray stuff. I'm not sure I like how that turned out, but I'll be experimenting with it a little more in the future. I also wanted to mention that I'm always seeing people comment about not wanting to add a ribbon or bow on a masculine card, but I almost always do. I don't think ribbons or bows are a strictly feminine embellishment at all. We typically add a bow to a boy's gift, right? I always thought that was kind of the purpose of adding a ribbon / bow treatment to a card - it's just embellishment. There are no rules. I used a glittery heart on this boy card, but I still think it looks like a masculine card. It's for a little boy - MY little boy. So I can do whatever I want. So can you. Don't limit yourself with all these "rules" because there really aren't any! If it looks good to you and it works with the message / feel of your card, go for it! (ok, stepping down from my soapbox, LOL).

OK, so I hope you'll play along with us this month! We'll be back with an all-new sketch in just a little over a week! Be sure to stop by the rest of the SFYTT Sisters' blogs to see what they've been doing with the sketch this month:

Jen del Muro with guest designer Debbie Carriere
Amber Hight
Amy Sheffer
Carole Burrage
Jodi Collins
Kerry Johnson
Megan Lock
Sony Christoph
Susan Liles
Terri Moore

Here are all the pertinent SFYTT details you should know...
1. The SKETCH FOR YOU TO TRY {SFYTT} will be posted on the first Saturday of each month on www.iheart2stamp.com at 8am EST and will stay open to participants until the last day of the month, unless otherwise noted.
2. This is for fun! Interpret the sketch as you wish and embellish as desired. There are no vendor restrictions, but we would love to see you use the sponsor’s stamps!
3. Each month we will have a Designer of the Month that will be chosen from past month’s participants.
4. Come and play with us on each and every sketch! On Christmas Day 2011 a prize package worth over $200 will be given away to one very lucky and loyal SFYTT stamper that participates in EVERY sketch for the year.
5. To be eligible for the prize package, you must complete ALL of the sketches by each of the deadlines AND link your creation to the link system on that month’s sketch post (the first Saturday of the month). Everyone except for SFYTT Sisters are eligible for the prize package, including Designer of the Month and international players.
6. When posting your sketch creation on your blog, please post the sketch and link back to the sketch post on www.iheart2stamp.com. When posting to online galleries, please use the keyword “SFYTT.”